Head West, Turn Right

The Joint Blog of the Conservative Northwest Blogging Alliance: Red State Points of View from a Blue State Point on the Compass.

Saturday, January 22, 2005

A Gay District In Spokane Washington?

I don't live in or really near Spokane, so I am limited to the AP story. If any other members have more information updates/clarification would be welcome.

It appears that the 'gay' population, despite crys that they just want to be accepted, don't really 'just want to be accepted' but want to be noted. They want to be noticed, celebrated and made special. Proof of being made 'special' is the constant clamor to make them a 'protected group' under discrimination and hate laws. A concept that I've had (and continue to have) a hard time getting my mind around. I do believe that a 'gay' person is just a person, they should have the same rights and privledges as any citzen of the United States. I've asked before, does a beating because you are asian or a white woman hurt less than a beating because the person is 'gay'? Is denying you housing choices because you are jewish different than being denied housing choices because you are 'gay'? Under our Declaration of Independence it is stated that "... all men are created equal ..."; but the addition of 'special classes of people' doesn't make us equal anymore.

On to what this posting is about - the 'gay' community in Spokane proposing a district within the city. According to the article they "... are planning to create a neighborhood of gay-oriented homes, businesses and nightlife..." - again, it appears that they would like to be looked at as special, they wish to stand out; all the while yelling that society doesn't accept them and that they are 'just like us, only different' (which I always viewed as an oxymoron).

Spokane is a nice small town (pop. 200,000) you normally don't hear of such ideas being brought to a town of this size. It is also the home of Gonzaga University, a Catholic University which espouses Catholic ideas and has an influence on the community. Why should a town this size, or any town for that matter, separate out a section of the town for 'gays'? Sometimes things like that happen on their own, a member of a select group moves into a neighborhood, then a second, a third, a fourth, etc. soon that area of town is known as the 'gay area' or 'black area' or 'artist area' - it happens, despite all the cries for 'diversity' it happens. We feel more comfortable hanging out with people who think like we do, like minded people tend to congregate together. Example is that I'm a religious person, given the choice between living in a neighborhood with activist atheists or living in a Catholic neighborhood, I'll choose the Catholic neighborhood; an atheist would choose the atheist neighborhood - it's our freedom to choose. I have the freedom to choose the atheist neighborhood, but I probably won't like my neighbors much because at our core we view life and issues from opposite sides of the fence.

To go back to the main issue (I keep getting side tracked) - should the city consider a specifically designated area to be "the gay area"? Is it right? Is it fair? Should it even be a consdieration?

I'll be honest - I'm looking for a job (really) and just yesterday I turned in an application to the city of Spokane. I don't know if I'll get a call, but if I do and they offer me a job, this situation will weigh in on my decision to take the job and move there or not. Personally, I'd rather not be in a town/city where being 'gay' is held out to be special and celebrated, just as I'd rather not be in a town where they hang 'gays'.

To me, it's a case of the 'gays' trying to have their cake and eat it too. They want to be accepted, but they want to be celebrated. They want to have the right to live wherever they want (a right I strongly support) but they want the right to set apart a special section of the city and designate it as the 'gay' portion of the city. Sorry, it's one or the other, not both, make up your mind and then we as a society can move on from there.

More Later.

2 Comments:

At 10:18 AM, Blogger Patty-Jo said...

Great post. I couldn't agree more. These people are being absurd. If a group of white people asked for their own area, they'd be all over the five o'clock news. I think that the bid by so many gays for special treatment stems from their insecurity in their own identity.

I was going to wish you luck in your job search, but I don't believe in luck. I pray that God directs you and guides you to where He wants you to be, and that He makes your path clear and smooth.

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger B.B. said...

I seem to recall a time when opressed groups fought to get OUT of the Ghettos.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home