Head West, Turn Right

The Joint Blog of the Conservative Northwest Blogging Alliance: Red State Points of View from a Blue State Point on the Compass.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

So conservative they look liberal

I had an early distaste for the tactics that GOP haters...er...critics of Harriet Miers have employed in trying to scuttle her nomination. They have fooled themselves into thinking they are taking a stand for principled conservatism, while all the while missing their own hypocrisy. The confirmation of Roberts was won primarily by debunking the myth that nominees needed to answer personal question and reveal privileged documents. Roberts stood fast and refused to answer hypothetical questions, brilliantly citing the Ginsberg confirmation hearings as precedent for his silence, winning general admiration even among those who were frustrated by his dodge.

And now...as soon as the "base" thinks they can't totally trust a nominee to be a carbon copy of themselves, they jump on the liberal bandwagon demanding the very hypothetical answers and privileged information Roberts and co. fought so hard to protect.

So for the first time, I suspect we are having conservatives partaking in the so-called "borking" of a nominee. I'm incensed. I began with just as much skepticism and disappointment as everyone else, and now I find I am totally dismayed. You see, if Miers is successfully borked by her own friendlies (as seems likely), there is an even greater chance of never again getting a strong constitutionalist on the bench of the United States Supreme Court.

Crossposted at Meneltarma

5 Comments:

At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this concise and smart post. Dismayed is exactly how I have felt watching conservative academics, journalists and bloggers that I have respected completely disinegrate over Harriet Miers. Thankfully we have not all gone over the cliff.

 
At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger B.B. said...

Jaybird,

I've stayed on the sidelines for the most part regarding Miers, urging people to temper their opposition to her. I must admit, I haven't heard much to convert me into a true supporter, but the vitriol spewed her way seems extreme.

One significant difference between Souter and Miers is that HW didn't know Souter, he was recommended to the President, whereas W and Miers have a history, he knows her better than his father knew Souter. That's not to say she'll be a good judge, that's just saying there are as many differences between Miers and Souter as there are possible similarities.

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Jaybird--

My biggest problem with the Souter argument is that there is a world of difference between Souter and Miers: She's not a Washington insider (Souter was) and she's not a Ivy Leaguer (Souter was). In today's terms, this means a lot. I don't see her following a "win fans from the left" pattern like Souter has. I'm not saying all Ivy Leaguers/Washington insiders turn out like Souter--I just don't think a Souter equation can at all be justified...

...nor do I think she is the best choice--I don't know who the best choice would be--no one does.

 
At 12:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree

 

Post a Comment

<< Home